Well, I am finally done with the three baby blanket squares I wanted to make for the LSSK baby blankets. They really did turn out very cute. I used Bernat’s Cotton Tots to make these squares, as that is what all the ladies use. Maybe I should back up….
I belong to a group on Yahoo Groups that is called Lone Start State Knitters. This is a wonderful group of women who have become each others’ extended family, and who welcome new women into their “family” all the time. It does not matter if you are Texan or a brand new comer (Like myself). One of the wonderful things they do (besides making you feel welcome) is, they knit squares for members who are having their first baby/grandbaby while being a member of this group. The coordinator collects the squares, and mails them to the new mom when there are enough of them, and of course if the mom wants to receive them. No pressure, no obligation. I am actually looking forward to receiving my squares, which I have been told are on their way! But while I was waiting for my squares, I thought it would be nice to join the tradition. And I bought a skein of Cotton Tots. And I cast on. There are some suggestions to follow, so that the squares are made using the same materials, approximately the same size, and the same gauge. I managed to make 3 squares from the one skein, and I still have a little left over. Here are the results:
This teddybear I ended up redesigning. I did not like the pattern I found here in the right hand margin. It was written as a stockinette bear on a reverse stockinette back ground. There were not enough stitches, and not enough rows, and I did not want to just add more background, because there is already a lot on this cloth. So I redesigned it using Elaine’s basic charted shape for the bear, but making it a garter stitch bear on stockinette back ground, and I like it much better. This one took me probably more time then the other 2 together, but I am now reasonably happy with the end result. I think if I would make the pattern again, I might tinker some more with the chart, but then, I usually tinker a little on all my patterns. In this case, I think the bear should be a bit more “fluffy”.
The last two can be found at Designs by Emily, the June and July 2007 patterns. They were easy to knit, took me only a few hours each. They are also a garter stitch pattern on a stockinette background, and I think they came out pretty darn well. Of course these could be used at dishcloths or wash cloths, but I think the designs make them also highly appropriate as parts of a baby blanket. Just as long as the cotton you use for them is appropriate for the purpose it is meant to serve. Cotton Tots is soft and feels nice, which makes it great for baby items, if it was to be a dishcloth, I would probably use something like Sugar and Creme. Different yarns lend themselves to different things.
Well, the thunderstorm blew over, I think it is time for me to head to bed. Good night everyone!