Long, long ago, in a state, far away…. Isn’t that how most fairytales sort of begin? Well, it would be rather appropriate for this project’s story as well.
The story started a long time ago. I think about 14 or 15 years. I had just learned to crochet (again). My mother had tried to teach me a long time ago, when I was a little girl, but at that time it didn’t appeal to me. I was much rather knitting. But when I was in college, I re-discovered crochet. And I figured one of the best ways to learn different patterns, was to do one of these blankets or afghans with different squares.
Off to the hobby store we went. I found a really interesting pattern, a leaflet from Leisure Arts, 2146, called 63 “more” Easy to crochet pattern stitches combine to make an Heirloom Afghan. I bought more yarn then I had ever dreamed of buying all at the same time. And not just Red Heart, something I usually used, but something ‘nice’. I ended up with bags full of Caron’s Wintuk. It was soft, creme-colored (the color is actually called Fisherman), and just plain awesome! I started to crochet, and it really was easier then I expected. I finished the first 20 or so blocks relatively quickly. But then life got in the way. I got a job, we moved around the country a couple of times, and all together, I kind of almost forgot about this afghan.
But then I joined a wonderful online group, and they had a UFO club. And I remembered that I really did want this blanket to be finished. So I joined, and every month, I added a block, sometimes 2, sometimes none. But progress was once more being made! And about 2 years ago, I realized that it was still going to take forever to finish it, at 1 block month. So I decided to try for 1 block a week. And even though I didn’t always manage, life sometimes got in between, I kept at it.
I couldn’t for the life of me remember how much yarn I actually bought, but I am pretty sure I had kept all of it together. It was kind of scary at the end, because I could not tell whether I had enough yarn to finish. Of course the yarn is discontinued, so finding more would be very, very difficult. And I discovered that I actually had two different kinds of Wintuk, both from Caron, both bought at the same time, both asking for the same hook, but one had 16 stitches per 4 inches, and the other 18 stitches. Which means that some of my squares are a little denser, but I am okay with that. Then at the end, when I was just about to start the final single crochet edging all around the blanket, I found 1 more skein of yarn in my stash, it had been taken out to take with me on a trip last year, and apparently never made it back in. The edging took about 2/3 of a skein (I guess), and all together, I think I have the equivalent of 1 skein left over! And here she is:
When you click on it, you can see a bigger picture.