A girl has got to have a dress. No, that is not my belief, but my oldest daughter’s. She is 3 years old, and at times a real girly girl. I have been showing you some pictures of a dress I was making for her. Well, it got finished:
It will fit her this winter, the sleeves are about 3/4 length, which will work out just fine. I did add quite a few rounds on the bodice, and even more on the skirt. Now it comes to her knees, or actually a little below. The pattern was from the UK Hand Knitting Association, and because their website appears to be under construction, here is a link to the pattern on Ravelry. As mentioned before, I used yarn that was somewhat different from the pattern’s suggested yarn, and I had to adjust stitch and row counts. But she is thrilled with how it turned out, wore it already, even if it is a little big, and can’t wait for the weather to turn cooler so she can wear it again. For more details, you can look at my previous post about this dress.
And because she could not wear it in the summer when it was 100 degrees (about 40 Celsius) outside, and I found a pattern that a dear friend had given to me a while back for a simple summer dress, I figured I would make her a summer dress as well. The yarn I used was Patons Australia Four Seasons 8 Ply Crepe, unfortunately now discontinued. I used US6 (4 mm) needles. The pattern was printed on a single sheet of paper, and when I went looking for it, I could not find much of any information about it. Also it was very quickly clear to me that it was very poorly written, and the stitch counts were just plain wrong for the most part. But the dress was very simple, so I took the idea and made my own variation. This was the result:
Yes, you see correctly, the ends had not even been woven in. She just had to wear it the moment it came off my needles.
A day later it was properly finished, and washed:
It was a fun and easy little knit that could easily be scaled up to fit bigger girls.